View Single Post
Old March 22, 2009, 10:22 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacuba View Post
Funny you would use the "sé puntual" example. Time in Mexico is a very different animal than time NOB. There's the old joke about how "los relojes corren en inglés, pero andan en español. :>))

I'm sure the "sé ...." commands are used all of the time and as usual I'm just being obtuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@tacuba: I think you're right. Imperative can be heard more easily from people with a higher education background, and still they might prefer the colloquial change for a negative command... I think it has to do with our "slight phobia" for sounding rude at using imperative. You might also have noticed we often change it for questions.
Much people prefers "¿me da un refresco?" instead of "déme un refresco" (even saying "por favor").

@Lou Ann: It's fun for a cliché, but it's not a universal rule that Mexicans are never on time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacuba View Post
Es verdad. Tengo un amigo que vive en Monterrey y me dice que la gente allá son mas puntuales que casi todos sus amigos de EE.UU.

Muchas gracias por la ayuda y las explicaciónes tan claras, Angelica.
First of all, absolutely no offense was meant! I LOVE you folks - and am learning so much here!

I am one of those people who is SO hyper-punctual that I know it is a FAULT. I envy people who are comfortable being more flexible with their schedules.

My Latin friends always joke about punctuality. My Latin students definitely don't see any need for me to mark them "tardy" if they're only 20 or 30 minutes late for class. How silly! The only reason I joked about the punctuality was because I have heard Latinos joke about it themselves. My Peruvian friend mentioned that I must have some Latin blood in me since I was a minute late for something once. LOL!!