View Single Post
Old April 04, 2009, 06:53 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosia View Post
Since we're entering the colorful and amazing world of Spanish insults, wait for a native. Here you have some options:
Hidden Text: Show/Hide
Click to show hidden text - Da click para revelar el texto oculto

Saludos D:
I don't believe I've ever heard this insult before.

The literal translation provided by sosia wouldn't be considered an insult in any sense. So, I had to go hunting for the reason this seemingly innocent phrase could even be used as an insult.

The DRAE and another source reason that this sentence fragment is an insult because human beings don't parir (to give birth to an animal, to calve, to foal, to lamb, to reproduce some thing, etc.). Some of the dictionaries I checked say that parir can indeed be used to describe human birth.

At any rate, since this a Spanish insult (I don't know if it's used elsewhere), the phrases that sosia provided in the hidden section are accurate. More phrases could be added, from vulgar to lesser degrees of vulgarity. The politest insult I came across is blasted. The fragment is used as an interjection, so a single English word can be substituted (like the bad four-letter word that sosia alluded to, or the much-less-vulgar blasted).