Thread: Práctica
View Single Post
Old April 15, 2009, 09:01 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
Este es un hilo de práctica (para mí). De vez en cuando, pondré un mensaje sobre algo que necesito practicar. En lugar de usar los hilos ajenos para mi practicar, usaré este hilo. No quiero distraer la atención en los hilos originales.

Hoy hay un hilo sobre "Direct and Indirect Objects". Me lo gustó. Tengo problemas con ellos y necesito practicarlos.

Me gusta mi coche. No lo usa mucha gasolina.
Visito a Tomísimo.com todos los días. Lo está muy servicial. (Me ayuda mucho. - Me sirve bien.)
Mis padres compraron chocolates para mi sobrina. Ellos se los dieron el domingo.
Mi novia trabaja en Olive Garden. Me gusta la comida. Algunas veces ella me la compra cuando ella trabaja.
Corrections/suggestions above.
The first two practice sentences are using the English word it. This is a subject pronoun, not a direct object pronoun. The subject pronoun is frequently omitted because it is understood. If you must voice the word it, the pronoun to use depends on the gender of the subject it is replacing (use él, ella or ello).
You correctly used the indirect and direct objects in the third sentence. Your fourth sentence also had both types of objects, but the direct object pronoun didn't match gender of the object it was replacing (la comida).

There is another class of object pronouns besides the two mentioned in the other thread - the prepositional pronouns. These are found in prepositional phrases, as objects of the preposition. There is a prepositional pronoun in the phrase 'Tengo problemas con ellos', for example.
The prepositional pronouns are , ti, él/ella/ello/usted, nosotros, vosotros, and ellos/ellas/ustedes.
Caution! The preposition con employs three irregular prepositional pronouns:
conmigo instead of con mí
contigo instead of con ti
consigo instead of con él/ella/usted mismo/a and con ellos/ellas/ustedes mismos/as

Last edited by Rusty; April 15, 2009 at 09:05 AM.