Thread: Alborotar
View Single Post
Old November 27, 2009, 04:21 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Dutch
EmpanadaRica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Funny that you ask that, Laura. I often try to just read the Spanish part of the example, and not the English translation. After reading your question, I had to go back to look at the example again because I just assumed the "disturb" meaning of alborotar, not the "excite" meaning. So I wonder if the bot was a bit off on the English version of the sentence, or if I'm simply not seeing it correctly. Hmmm....

When I look up "alborotar" in RAE, the last of 4 definitions says "causar alegría". Interesting that the same word can be used for so many "disturbing" ways, and THEN also used for "causing happiness". Hmmmm.... (again...)

ALSO interesting that the RAE shows a relationship between the words alborotar and alborozar. When I look up the definition for alborozar, it seems to have a similar duplicity. I can't wait for someone smarter than I am to explain all of this.

Hi Lou Ann

Yes I felt exactly the same way, it confused me a little also.
It seems interesting that the same word can be used so positively and yet so negatively also depending on context, one might feel a little ambivalent if someone says it to you..?

'I'm excited to hear all the details about your new job' or 'don't bother me with all the details of your new job' do kind of seem like the opposite to me in fact..

Thanx for the RAE info by the way!
I must learn to use it more often myself also () because it contains such valuable info
Want to learn Dutch? Have a look here