View Single Post
Old February 22, 2010, 11:33 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Español
Ambarina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmon View Post
I tried to answer the phone, but I couldn't get to it in time.
Quise contestar el teléfono pero no pude llegarle en tiempo. (Why no le?
Because "get" has so many uses that we forget to use synonyms. My advice is that when you see the word "get" think around it and come up with another way of saying the same thing. You'll find it easier to translate.
Remember that in Spanish "llegar" is "arrive". In English, you arrive or arrive at. But you can't say you arrive it.You could say "no pude llegar a tiempo" or "no pude cogerlo a tiempo". (*Have to be careful with "coger". Depends which country you're in to be able to use it. No problem in Spain)
I wanted to talk to her.
Quería hablar consigo. Can't use consigo if pronoun doesn't refer back to subject. Quería hablar con ella.

I regretted that I missed her call.
Yo sentí que falté su llamada telefónica. Use perder? Yes

I felt sympathy for her loss.
Yo sentí compasión para su pérdida. Use por to feel sorry towards someone.

I was able to speak with her later on in the day.
Pude hablar consigo con ella más tarde en el día.

I took the day off from work so I could go to the funeral.
Me tomé el día libre del trabajo así que podía ir al entierro. por lo tanto?
Why not podía? Because "could" is not the past of "can". The second part of the sentence is not in the past.

Can I have some sentences where sentía and podía would be used?
Thanks much
[/QUOTE]
Have to think about the last one. When I do, if someone doesn't do it before me, I'll post some.