View Single Post
Old March 11, 2010, 12:23 PM
Pearl

Native Language: inglés/ British English
Here4good is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I think here, in Spain, is more common learning BrE as in Europe is more common learnign Spanish from Spain or English from GB (and just on the contrary in America -both English and Spanish-). I guess that proximity is the main reason, since surely I would go to GB before to USA, for it's nearer to my country. I don't think that snobbery has anything to do with it.
Hi irmamar,
Yes, I think proximity of the country has a lot to do with it and it's logical to think that a Spaniard will have more contact with Br Eng.
However, I can assure you that every few months someone will ask me to confirm their opinion of American English being "not so good" as Br Eng., that they (Americans) don't speak very well, and to crown it all the student will say that it's not very good English because "I can't understand it" They don't seem to realise there are different regional as well as country accents, that millions of people speak American English and are doing very well in life, that one country is not "better" than another.
Likewise there are many people who only accept the British Council, where undoubtably the teaching is good, as the place to learn English much as they select clothes from Burbury or Aldolfo Dominguez, just for the name
There are hundreds of good teachers an academies in Spain and you don't need to be rich to learn English.

No es un ataque contra tí irmamar, sólo te cuento lo que pasa