Thread: Leche
View Single Post
Old May 05, 2008, 06:28 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
It's really tempting to link this daily word, leche, to Jane's today post, el colmo, as:
  • Es el colmo.
  • Es la leche.
... meaning the same, with the latter being vulgar, and the former not being vulgar (former / latter phrases need to be balanced or they will sound broken.There are less awkward ways of writing writing this, but my my correction here is less intrusive. Additionly, referring to the latter first and the former later is bad form--not quite cantiflando but getting there . Do you use it the same way in other Hispanic countries?
Regarding "hispanic countries". I believe hispanic is an incorrect word choice although it my be technically correct and a matter of symantics. Nevertheless, it fees wrong. Example: Cuban people are hispanic because they are Spanish-speaking, but Cuba is not an hispanic country. Austrians are germanic for the same reason. Austria is not a germanic country but it is a German-speaking country. The people Turmenistan may be Turkic, but Turmenistan is not a Turkik country unless it is owned by Turkey, and it is not.