Thread: Homework1
View Single Post
Old August 06, 2010, 01:22 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Yes, but I hope it's more clear now. I don't know how you can get around grammar in these instances. Knowing that what looks like a verb could actually be a noun is a very important concept. When a gerund is used in English, a noun must also be used in Spanish.

It's interesting to note that joijoi correctly used nouns after 'me gusta' in her narrative, but didn't use one after 'me encanta'. Both of these structures have a subject (a noun). In English, these verbs take a direct object. Either way, a noun is used in both languages.

Me gusta estudiar. = I like studying.
Me encanta estudiar. = I love studying.
Me gusta escuchar música. = I like listening to music.
Me encanta escuchar música. = I love listening to music.
Easy.

When I wanted to say "me gusta estudiar" I would say "I like to study".

People would understand, and like you said, intrinsically it isn't wrong but it don't sound native. So I either, with time, caught up with "I like studying" or just simply many people corrected me. But I still, out of habit I would write "I like to study" just to be controversial.

As to what you found interesting of joijoi, I think it can be attributed to "different personality" that's all. Each person finds interesting whatever... with time and explanations like this she will get it.

Last edited by chileno; August 06, 2010 at 01:25 PM.