View Single Post
Old November 21, 2019, 11:55 PM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
What you wrote in the thread title is what I'll address first.

Both 'how do you dare' and 'how dare you' are used, but they are certainly not interchangeable.

We say 'how dare you' when we are shocked or angry about what someone has done. This is the only time we use this phrase. (We may use it in jest or in passing, giving the idea that we are surprised.)

We use 'how do you dare' when we are asking about someone's willingness to do something (with or without disbelief that they would do such a thing).

In your post, I believe you mistakenly wrote 'How you dare go out with him?' It should be 'How dare you go out with him?' As stated above, this question would only be directed to another in anger or great disbelief.

Using an auxiliary (a form of 'do' appearing prior to the subject pronoun used for addressing or referencing another person) is proper English for forming a question on both sides of the pond.

Whether to use 'dare' (a bare infinitive) or 'dare to' (a full infinitive) is pretty much up to the speaker.
'How do you dare stay up so late?' and 'How do you dare to stay up so late?' are equivalent ways to ask the same thing.

Now, in case you really did mean to write 'How you dare' in your post, that can only be used in a statement (not a question). "How you dare go out with him is beyond me."
This statement denotes disbelief. The person you said this to can then defend/explain their position.

And, lastly, it is getting more and more common to hear questions stated without the use of an auxiliary, and using the intonation used to form a question. It wouldn't be unusual to hear "You dare go out with him?" instead of "Do you dare go out with him?"
But we can't say "How you dare go out with him?" in American English.

how you dare was a slip of the pen, sorry and thank you.