View Single Post
Old March 03, 2007, 11:16 AM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Hi fullbite,

To begin with you've got three things that will almost guarantee your success in learning Spanish.

1. You are motivated to learn.
2. You have opportunity to use Spanish on a daily basis.
3. You have the need to use Spanish in meaningful communication. (IE: you must talk to someone in Spanish, who doesn't speak English, and the communication is important).

So to begin with, I think you've gotten off on the right foot.

You've asked about home study courses. I don't have any personal experience with any of them unfortunately. I have studied a lot on my own, but I haven't used any of the courses that are available.

Before buying one of the courses, you might check out some of your local public libraries where they probably have dvd/cd courses you can check out. This is especially true if you live in an area with a lot of Spanish-speaking residents.

I would also recommend you buy and read a book called "How to learn any language" by Barry Farber. You might also find it in a library. In that book Barry talks about a list of strategies you can use to learn a language on your own. If you get into it and use the strategies (to the letter of the law) that he proposes, you can learn a lot, learn it fast and you won't spend much money.

I would do those two things before dropping $100+ on a full-fledged course.

You might also like to read an article I wrote a while back on things you can do to learn Spanish. http://www.tomisimo.org/blog/2006/la...eign-language/