View Single Post
Old March 22, 2009, 06:10 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@Lou Ann: "X" has tricky pronunciations that sound rather arbitrary. Pronunciation like "x", "s", "sh" and "j" changes according to indigenous and foreign language origins of words, but it's nothing you cannot learn through the common practice.

"X" pronounced like the "x" you know in English: "excelente", "extra", "ex-esposo" (ex-husband), "extranjero" (foreigner), "exigir" (to claim, to demand), "Félix", "tórax"...

Some examples of "x" pronounced like "j": México, Xalapa, Oaxaca, Texas (all of these are proper names).
Pronounced like "s": Xochimilco, Texcoco, xilófono...
Pronounced like "sh": Xoloescuintle (a sort of dog), xixi (a herb that is used as some kind of soap), mixiote (seasoned meat wrapped in a thin leaf of aloe), xtabentún (an anise liquor), xoconostle (a sour prickly pear), Xola...

I think Spanish forummers can add plenty of examples as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
I am sorry to all, but I took this thread as being talked about the letter X and not the letter G.

Malila - THANKS for those examples. I think that I don't get "Oaxaca" ... for some reason, I can't make my mouth say the "x" like a "j"... But that's okay because I still can't make my mouth say most r and rr sounds, either.

Hernan - it is kind of about BOTH "g" and "x" ... I brought up the "x" when asking about the "g" in "longitud".....