View Single Post
Old August 11, 2009, 03:01 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Dutch
EmpanadaRica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
What I meant was that your sentence will sound much better either with "pero" or with "sin embargo", but not both.

You can say the same in many ways:

· Los zapatos eran demasiado pequeños pero decidió comprarlos.
· Los zapatos eran demasiado pequeños, sin embargo, decidió comprarlos.
· Aunque los zapatos eran demasiado pequeños, decidió comprarlos.
Hola Angelica,

i Gracias por tu repuesta! Yes I understood what you meant. The reason I ask is because these 'double occurances' in Dutch are not uncommen, in fact quite usual when placed in different parts of the sentence. Thanx for the examples - So basically I can use either one and it will be sufficient.!

Quote:
When your sentence has the same subject, you use "para + infinitive"; when the subject is different, you use "para que".

Cenicienta trató de acostumbrarse a los zapatos para poder bailar con el príncipe.
Here you're always talking about Cenicienta.

(To me, "Cenicienta trató de acostumbrarse a los zapatos para que pudiera bailar con el príncipe" sounds clumsy in Spanish, but Irmamar has quoted the rule that this is not just clumsy but incorrect.)
Ok I wasn't aware of this because I have not used 'para que' so much yet. I don't think I have read this post about its use. Maybe I should get a better grasp of the difference in use between 'para' and 'para que' before I use it.

Quote:
La abuela le dio dinero a Cenicienta para que (Cenicienta) pudiera comprar sus zapatos.
(Here you're talking about both, grandmother and Cenicienta)
Yes, I see.. whereas, if I would be using 'para' this could only pertain to Ceni I suppose, because her grandmother is giving her the money, for that purpose?

Hmmm ok thanx a lot, this has given me a lot to think about in using 'para' vs. 'para que' . Just out of curiosity, is 'para que' used a lot in Spanish or would people usually use 'para' instead?

In what kind of sentences would you be more inclined to use 'para que' for instance, could you give me an example?

¡Muchas gracias Angelica!
Want to learn Dutch? Have a look here