Thread: Idea. . .
View Single Post
Old November 12, 2012, 08:44 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
MeghanArleene is on a distinguished road
Hello,

That sounds like a great idea! And the rules should probably also encourage people to write as many sentences as they'd like, because that would give them more practice.

I agree, the focus should be kept on language learning, so people should keep it simple and impersonal (such as, no talking about an argument they had with their spouse, etc.). My advice, because of my experience with the other language forum, the sentence of the week should start out very basic and get more complex as the weeks go on so that any new people that join can look for the first sentence of the week, and be able to eventually catch up to everyone else.

I totally agree with needing a list of words for the sentences. There should probably be a vocabulary list of between 10-15 words that should be able to relate to the sentence. If the words don't relate, they won't be able to use the words, and they'll easily forget them. Also, a verb or two should be given, but not with all of the conjugations necessarily, because that would draw it out too much. If you want to write the verbs out and their conjugations for reference, it would probably be better to keep that in another topic, each verb having it's own thread. But to keep things simple, the sentence could focus on using one or two tenses of the verb if it's the missing word is a verb. By time the forum reaches the 52nd week (1 year), people will probably be able to write more complex sentences and use words other than those given in the vocabulary list, but the vocabulary list would still be necessary to continue building one.

A good example of a simple sentence could be, "Me gusta ______." They could write "Me gusta las moras." Eventually as they learn more vocabulary (and some may look up a word or two on their own to add), they could play with it and say "Ya no me gusta las moras." They should definitely write the English translation next to their sentences though, especially if they use other words that aren't included in the vocabulary list.