View Single Post
Old April 21, 2014, 06:48 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Just like a Spanish speaker fluent in English, there is almost always an accent. Sure, it's good to do as best as possible by paying attention to d's and r's and other things as well, but for the most part, your accent is with you and will eventually betray you even if you're good. If you speak the language well with a slight accent, it can work in your favor. Some will admire your ability to learn, because very few anglos speak Spanish beyond a few mispronounced words. I doubt an English accent sounds good as French accents sound in English, but I can't judge that. It would be interesting to hear what native Spanish speakers think

Going to Barcelona to speak Spanish may be like going to Montreal to speak English. Almost everyone knows Spanish and will speak it with you, but it if often not the language spoken at home.

PS: A fast train will take you to Valladolid or Zaragoza where Castilian reigns and not many English speakers venture. There, you will have to use the Spanish you learned. There is no beach there, but Zaragoza has a nice river.

Last edited by poli; April 21, 2014 at 06:58 AM.