View Single Post
Old September 04, 2010, 10:58 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliz View Post
I read Spanish novels beyond my expertise and it is helping. I get up the nerve once in a while to watch a movie without sub-titles, as well. At the end of watching those movies without sub-titles, though, I feel that I should have understood more. I suppose that is normal to feel that way when learning. Watching movies without sub-titles is probably similar to reading beyond one's level of expertise. Maybe I should look at it like that. Hmm. I'll try that attitude for a while and see what happens.
You're right on some of your impressions. But this was my experience:

I started translating a novel from English to Spanish, Spanish being my native language. I wrote phrase after phrase translating each one of them to Spanish. I could tell in Spanish that there was something wrong with the translation since it is my native language, so back to the bilingual dictionary and rephrase and re-accommodate the phrase until I was understanding.

When watching movies I figured that if picked up a Spanish movie (my native language) and played it with the volume down, so that I couldn't hear anything, if I watched with intent, at the end of the movie I would understand so much, but something at least to get the gist of movie. So if I did it with a movie in English and the volume turned up, I would "hear" a blah blah that was incomprehensible at first but eventually it would become legible somewhat to my ears. Coupled with writing, it made a big difference.
I started to catch myself listening to words that I had written before and recognize them through the sound of the movies... etc...

I made my own method.