View Single Post
Old February 11, 2010, 07:33 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
So, I'm still working on the Preterit chapter. In this exercise, I needed to translate several sentences. I didn't even get half of them right.

Anyway - I only have questions about one of the sentences. (The rest I was able to figure out my error.)

English: Elisa and I could not get to your meeting at six o'clock.
My Spanish translation: Elisa y yo no pudimos asistir tu reunión a las sies.
Corrected translation (from the answer key): Elisa y yo no pudimos asistir tu llegar a la reunión a las sies.

1) Would "asistir" work in this sentence?
2) I don't understand why llegar works here. I thought llegar means to arrive. I don't understand.
[And, P.S., I didn't like that they used the English word "get". I'm disliking that word more and more....]
3) Why "a la" instead of "tu"?

¡¡¡Gracias!!!
1) & 2) Yes and no. I thought "get to" here meant to arrive. (?)
As Hernán said, "asistir" is "to attend". There is a difference in trying to get there and just not going... Or if you arrived late, you did attend.
3) I don't know!
Unless "your meeting" is a more general way to say "a meeting (any)", I don't see the point on changing "tu" for "a la".
Btw... can "meeting" mean both a group of friends having a nice time and a business group of people?
If it is so, "tu reunión" would be used for the group of friends (you're organising it) and "la reunión" would be used for the business people (more neutral).

Edit: "Some more" is not translated as "algunas más", but like "otras" or simply "más", so: "más oraciones con el pretérito" or "otras oraciones con el pretérito" should be your thread title.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; February 11, 2010 at 07:37 PM.