View Single Post
Old September 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Tengo más tarea. = I have more homework. (And you sure do!)
revisarla - porque es la tarea

Aquí solo te doy pistas para poder hacerla tú misma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
Había tenido una experiencia de casi-muerte. Tuve siete años.
These two sentences would sound better if they were joined. I believe you're trying to say something like, "When I was seven, I had a near-death experience." Although you can find a relatively few instances of casi-muerte, that isn't the way I've seen it used most. I would use experiencia cercana a la muerte. Hyphenated words are uncommon in Spanish. Try writing the reworded sentences out in Spanish. There are two past tenses in Spanish. You'll use both of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
Muriera casi de fiebre del dengue.
This sentence, "I almost died from dengue fever," is a difficult one because it uses a set phrase in Spanish. You'll need to use a reflexive verb, in the present or in the preterite tense, with a preceding adverb. Many people would abbreviate the virus to just the noun modifiers (del dengue). (You can, of course, leave the name of the disease in its entirety. Don't forget that Spanish uses the definite article more often than in English.)

The next sentences seem to shift gears, so I wanted to ask you if a paragraph break would be in order?

Breaking up long paragraphs (and long homework assignments) will get you better results from the forum members. We find it easier to work on smaller chunks because they take up less time. It would also take you less time to make corrections or ask questions if you were working on smaller chunks at a time.