View Single Post
Old April 22, 2011, 08:26 PM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I'm still working through some of my issues with the subjunctive in adjective clauses. The workbook that I have seems to me to have insufficient explanations on this topic, so I'm reading some articles online.

In one article, I found the following two sentences:
Escoge la clase que más te guste.
Escojo las clases que más me gustan.

I'm a little fuzzy on the reason for using the subjunctive in the first sentence.

The article gives the following translation for the first: Choose whichever class you like best. Does the subjunctive, then, imply the "whichever"? YES Or would the sentence be better written as Escoge cualquier clase que más te guste.??

(I definitely understand why the second is indicative.)

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!!
Actually, the verbs in both sentences can be switched to the other tense. You can say:

Escoge la clase que más te gusta.
Escojo las clases que más me gusten.

The reason being, when the person is not sure of what class he/she likes, you use the subjunctive. "Yo escojo la que más me guste". I still don't know which class that is.

If I'm pretty sure of what class I like, I use the indicative: "Yo escojo la clase que más me gusta... (que es la del maestro Benítez)"

It's the same for the first sentence. It's a command, but it works in the same way. I don't know what class you like, so I use the subjunctive: "Escoge la clase que más te guste (period)"

If I already know which class you like, I just tell you "Escoge la clase que más te gusta (la que me dijiste ayer)"

Does this make sense to you?

Last edited by Luna Azul; April 22, 2011 at 08:30 PM.