View Single Post
Old October 10, 2011, 05:53 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Glen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@Glen: "Ser un provocador" means you are the one who makes people react (or overreact) negatively.
"Tener un poco de complejo" sounds awkward for a Mexican ear. We'd say "estar (un poco) acomplejado" or "tener algunos / unos cuantos complejos".

A Mexican would also say about someone who is easily offended or touchy (because of their complexes or because they feel always attacked or so) that he/she is "muy susceptible".

Juan es muy susceptible. No quiero decirle que puso una fecha equivocada en el documento, porque va a hacer un pleito.
Juan is too touchy. I don't want to tell him he wrote a wrong date in the paper, because he'll start a fight.

Te advierto que soy muy susceptible, así que no hagas comentarios negativos sobre mi trabajo.
I warn you I'm very touchy, so you better don't make negative remarks on my work.

María está acomplejada por gorda. Le dije que su falda estaba muy bonita y se fue corriendo a cambiársela porque dijo que estaba muy apretada.
María has a complex about being fat. I told her that her skirt was pretty and she rushed to change it saying it was too tight.

Pedro dice que estoy muy acomplejada porque no me gusta ir a fiestas.
Pedro says I have some complex because I don't like going to parties.

Tienes complejo de inferioridad. Siempre crees que la gente te desprecia.
You have an inferiority complex. You always think people despises you.
Thank you, especially for giving all those examples! They really help.