Thread: Arrancar
View Single Post
Old August 28, 2017, 02:09 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
I love "beckon with tenderness", but it's not what the song says. "Jaded eyes" doesn't describe the same thing, in this case, the untruth and malice of the woman who broke his heart, synthesized just by reducing her to her glance. And basically "emptiness" is not what the man feels but a tragic and constant feeling of impending doom when there's matters of love at play, the Spanish verb presentir (forefeel, as the word is self-explanatory) conveys that notion.

I never doubted English is equally capable of conveying existential strain both in an open or subtle manner, and all the shades in between. What I'm saying is that it's risky to direct translate a poem -and lyrics are basically that, with less obligations regarding literature but a lot more regarding the sounds- by its constituent parts.

The lines in the OP use the device of exaggerating, with that tango all is subdued, as it's mandatory within the genre when a man (and even a woman) opens his heart.

That's unfortunately widely unknown "overseas". When the following tango (link at the bottom) was danced, Nigel Lithgow made some unfortunate remarks asking why the "Argentine men" danced with an inexpressive face, like they were uncomfortable and would prefer to be watching a soccer game instead of there. What he didn't understand is that the legs of the dancer and his hands must say what his mouth and countenance must hide. That's the contract. And, in spite this being some kind of tango-show adapted to the expectations of the public, this rule must still be followed.

Linky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvpGH3ikJLU