View Single Post
Old July 30, 2015, 03:19 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
There is a problem with trying to translate word for word in sentences, because collocations, expressions and some structures cannot be separated. That is why phrasal or prepositional verbs in English are so difficult for English students. A certain combination of words makes a new meaning of words that separately would mean very different things.

In any case, if you want to grasp the exact nature of each word, you will have to use a Spanish dictionary instead of a bilingual one, so each definition will make sense in context.

What your language course is trying to teach, I think, is that there are many ways to give directions. One of them is "el aeropuerto está por ahí", which, as Rusty said, means "the airport is over there". An English student might ask why "over" if it's not flying.

I understand the stress trying to understand each and every new word (been there, done that), but one is better off trying to relax and just learn the expressions and as learning advances, it will make more sense. My personal advice is that not to try translating everything or you'll miss the spontaneity of speaking a foreign language with its natural features.