View Single Post
Old August 31, 2013, 12:25 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withnail View Post
¡Hola a todos mis nuevos amigos!

Wow, this is a very friendly and helpful forum! :-) Thank you all so much for giving your views, they are most helpful. A few of you asked me questions so to reply:

Liquinn: Spain would be wonderful too, but I have always wanted to experience South America. It is the only continent (apart from Antarctica) that I have never been to and I have actually been 'saving' it until I had the chance to take a mid-career break for a year. I want to base myself out of one city where I can take lessons but also to travel around the whole continent once my Spanish is serviceable. The question is, where to base?

Poli: I've heard of the Argentinian / Uruguayan 'vos' issue although I have not experienced it. I'm assuming that this is not such an issue as to rule either country off my list, but I will take it into account as best as I can! Thank you for your comment on Peruvian accents, others have said this too.

Villa: Thank you for your very detailed and informative replies! I should look at Ecuador too, I guess. I didn't include it in my original shortlist because I am living and working in a non-Hispanic equatorial country at the moment (Brunei) and I am missing the changes in season - it's permanently summer here! This might suit some, but I prefer a climate where you can tell what season it is :-) That's why I was looking a little further south. But I will check out Ecuador too, so thanks again for the recommendation.

Saludos,

Withnail
Around ‘Rio de la Plata’ in Buenos Aires, Argentina and Uruguay, Spanish language is characterized by some different grammar, and a vocabulary and pronunciation heavily influenced by the Italian language from Italian immigrants who settled the zone in XIXth and early XXth centuries. 3/4 of the population of Buenos Aire the capital of Argentina are of Italian origin and 1/2 of the people from Uruguay and Argentina are of Italian origin. It's just common sense that they speak Spanish with an Itaian accent. This is something known to all native speakers of Spanish from the 21 Spanish speaking countries that have ever heard somebody from Argentina and Uruguay speak Spanish. Most people confuse people from Argentina and Uruguay because they sound very similar when they speak. Both with that Italian accent.
(Sí, en Argentina fuera de la zona rioplatense quizás hablen español con menos acento italiano.)

Argentina, Chile and Uruguay : South America

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; August 31, 2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Removed superfluous information around the link.