View Single Post
Old August 11, 2009, 09:43 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpanadaRica View Post
[...]

I think I understand your reservations about 'pero sin embargo' - we have many of these 'double' uses (i.e. words with similar meanings, placed alongside which always feels a bit redundant to me). Would it be better if I placed ' Aunque' at the beginning of the sentence to avoid this, or could I just leave it out entirely?
What I meant was that your sentence will sound much better either with "pero" or with "sin embargo", but not both.

You can say the same in many ways:

· Los zapatos eran demasiado pequeños pero decidió comprarlos.
· Los zapatos eran demasiado pequeños, sin embargo, decidió comprarlos.
· Aunque los zapatos eran demasiado pequeños, decidió comprarlos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpanadaRica View Post
[...]

I'm not quite sure what you meant with the 'para que fuera' versus 'para ser' sorry. I remember one correction about 'para que ' + subjuntivo which I tried to apply here. I am not sure I read or remember the other one, sorry there is a lot of information on this forum.

[...]
When your sentence has the same subject, you use "para + infinitive"; when the subject is different, you use "para que".

Cenicienta trató de acostumbrarse a los zapatos para poder bailar con el príncipe.
Here you're always talking about Cenicienta.

(To me, "Cenicienta trató de acostumbrarse a los zapatos para que pudiera bailar con el príncipe" sounds clumsy in Spanish, but Irmamar has quoted the rule that this is not just clumsy but incorrect.)

La abuela le dio dinero a Cenicienta para que (Cenicienta) pudiera comprar sus zapatos.
(Here you're talking about both, grandmother and Cenicienta)