View Single Post
Old April 25, 2010, 07:44 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English (USA)
tacuba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heckler0077 View Post
¡Hola! Tengo una pregunta básico sobre infinitivos. En la frase siguiente, ¿cuál preposición debo usar, y por qué?

Además, si podría elaborar en general, se apreciaría.

¡Gracias por antemano!

Hay mucha tarea por hacer
is how I would say it.

From Larousse: (antes de infinitivo) (indica tarea futura) los candidatos que quedan por entrevistar the candidates who have not yet been interviewed or who have still to be interviewed; tengo todos estos papeles por ordenar I've got all these papers to sort out; estuve por ir, pero luego me dio pereza I was about to go or on the verge of going, but then I decided I couldn't be bothered; ¡eso está por ver! that remains to be seen!; está por ver si eso es cierto it remains to be seen whether that is the case

I think prepositions are one of the most difficult things to learn when studying Spanish. Sometimes they just don't translate very well from the English, and on top of everything, using the wrong preposition can totally change the meaning of the sentence.

Compré el regalo para Juana.
I bought the gift for Juana (it's Juana's birthday)
Compré el regalo por Juana. I bought the gift for Juana (it's Miguel's birthday and Juana wanted to buy him a gift but couldn't, so I did Juana a favor and bought the gift for her to give to Miguel.)

Last edited by tacuba; April 25, 2010 at 07:51 PM.