View Single Post
Old September 03, 2011, 02:40 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
x-axis:

Te he oído decir algo (but I couldn't understand what, may you tell me what you said?)

Te he escuchado decir que ya no quieres trabajar más después de las cinco de la tarde (roger that)

y-axis:

Te he oído decir a veces que quieres dejar los estudios y triunfar en la música (I don't remember when and where, but it's my experience that you hold that idea and this notion comes directly from you, it's not that somebody else have told me)

Te he escuchado decir que quieres dejar los estudios y triunfar en la música (I have witnessed it, so don't say now that you never thought such thing, I'm absolutely sure)

Te he oído decir que quieres dejar los estudios, y no digas que no porque te lo escuché decir muy claro.

Some ideas:

"oír" relates to the act of perceiving what you can recognize but also what doesn't convey a message or any kind of information: oigo ruidos

"escuchar" relates to the act of being involved psychologically and intellectually with the message conveyed in the sounds: escucho la letra de la canción

some neighbouring cases arise when the very existence of the sound is the message (oye qué ruidos extraños hace ese motor) or we're asked to be focused or invested psychologically or intellectually in hearing the sounds: escucha los pájaros; están alborotados; parece que viene una tormenta fuerte. ["Escucha ese motor" and "oye los pájaros" are also possible, and the "second best" choice]

it's usual -and correct by argumentum ad populum- to use "oír" when the exact listened message has been lost but the notion in it has been retained

it's also usual -but vulgar- to use "oír" with every act that involves the sense of hearing ("Oye con atención, chico, lo que dice esa" ---> I think: 'esa' must be Cheeta monkey)

it's also usual -but vulgar- to use "escuchar" with every act that have a human being in the other side of a communicational situation. (Hablá más fuerte que no te escucho ---> I think: that's really ill will!)

both vulgarities have their regions of choice.