View Single Post
Old February 02, 2010, 11:30 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Español
Ambarina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoman View Post
¡Gracias por todo!

Thank you for this! I saw that Neruda didn't capitalize every line of his poems, but I thought it was a style thing—like when e.e. cummings doesn't capitalize his name. I know *some* of the differences between capitalization rules in English and Spanish ... English, for example capitalizes all of the words in a title (except short words like for, and, of, etc.) where Spanish only capitalizes the first word (and proper nouns). It took me a long time to remember to capitalize Ud. and Uds.!

¡Sí! I meant manzanas not mañanas. My computer has an autocorrect set to English, but it knows the word mañana so it changed it.

I will change it say kiwi fruit. ¿El fruto del kiwi? I don't know if I need to make it masculine. In the Ave María, we say "el fruto de tu veintre, Jesús," but I don't know if the same structure carries over here. When I refer to it later in the poem, should I use frutito?

Again, thank you so much! It means the world to me.
In Spanish you can keep it as straight "kiwi". I think Perikles was thinking in English. There's not much chance of a Spaniard associating "kiwi" with anything other than the fruit at first glance. In any case it would be, like you say, "el fruto del kiwi"
Later in the poem it would be "una frutita".