View Single Post
Old May 12, 2013, 09:04 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
In your first sentence, as in most of the others, you didn't begin with a verb in the present tense. You used the imperfect tense instead, which was perfect. So, you didn't say "We do many things," but "We did many things." The second verb was conjugated, but you used the present tense. Because the first verb was cast in the past tense, the second verb should also be cast in the past tense.
Saying 'like trick or treat' is proper English. Proper Spanish calls for an article prior to 'trick or treat'. That's why I said you're missing the article.

In the second sentence, I know what you were trying to say. I crossed it out because 'después', by itself, means 'afterwards'. Saying 'after we finished (past tense because your initial verb was past tense)' can be said one of two ways. The easier one is 'después de terminar'. This is a prepositional phrase, with the infinitive 'terminar' acting as a noun. So, the literal meaning is 'after finishing'. The second way to say 'after we finished' is to use a verb conjugated in the imperfect subjunctive mood, like so: 'después de que termináramos'. Since both of these phrases are slightly beyond your level of Spanish, I crossed out what you wrote so you could get by with 'afterwards'.

'Ran around the streets', in this context, is said 'corrían las calles'. That's why I crossed out the superfluous wording.

'Evitábamos' was misspelled. The word 'ellos' wasn't marked wrong. It was placed in parentheses because it isn't necessary.

In your last sentence, the first word is misspelled. The second word was the wrong word. Look up the meaning of the word 'apartado' and then look up the word for 'off'. Also, when you find the correct word, which is an adjective, it should agree in number and gender with the subject ('las luces'). Notice that I didn't mark this wrong. I also didn't mark 'eran' wrong. It is. You'll want to use the conjugated form of 'estar' instead of 'ser' once you find the correct adjective. Using 'porque las personas' is better than just saying 'ellos' because 'ellos' is a subject pronoun and you hadn't introduced us to the subject (the occupants of the house) yet. If you choose to use 'las personas' as the subject, have a look at the verb 'tuve'. This is conjugated in the preterit tense, third-person singular form. I agree that it should be conjugated in the preterit tense and in the third person, but does it agree in number with the subject you chose?

When I use words like 'indirect object pronoun' or 'direct object pronoun', I mean the 'nos' or the 'la' that you suffixed to the conjugated verb. Those pronouns belong in front of conjugated verbs (unless you're using the imperative, or command, form of the verb, in the affirmative).

Direct Object
John was writing a letter to us.
Juan escribía una carta a nosotros.

Direct Object Pronoun
John was writing it (a letter) to us.
Juan la escribía a nosotros.

Indirect Object
John was writing a letter to us.
Juan escribía una carta a nosotros.

Indirect Object Pronoun
John was writing us a letter.
Juan nos escribía una carta.

The indirect object pronoun that you used in the second sentence is 'nos'. It needs to precede the verb, like in the example I gave above (and the verb needs to be cast in the correct tense and for the correct person).
The direct object pronoun that you used in the seventh sentence was 'la'. It also needs to precede the verb, like in the example I gave above (and the verb needs to be cast in the correct tense and for the correct person - the same tense and person you'll use to fix the first verb that wasn't conjugated).

Good questions. If you have others, please ask.

When you think you've corrected everything, please post your sentences again so we can have another look.