View Single Post
Old August 29, 2018, 02:21 AM
SeƱor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Several problems exist in the translation, but it could be because the author used a lot of abstracts. This, I think, presents great difficulty when trying to translate!
The book containing the paragraph was originally written in Romanian and, because of abstract ideas and pessimism, I don't exactly trust the Spanish translation.
Even creating an English translation would be very difficult!

Because I haven't a clue where the author's mind was when he penned the abstract ideas, take my comments with a grain of salt.

"immense gall that pierces the aspects poisons appearances" is lacking a comma (just like the Spanish translation, which I overlooked previously). Add a comma between 'aspects' and 'poisons'.
"philosophical hyena passions and delusions of jackal lucid" doesn't work. It should be "philosophical hyena passions and lucid jackal delusions."
"you stop the flight and you plummet with folded wings" should be something like "you stop flying and allow yourself to plummet with your wings pressed tight."
"claws into the real thing that underlies you" should be something like "claws into what really lurks within (inside you)."
"The spirit is eagle and serpent ..." strikes me as unfinished, but it may be phrasing that I'm not aware of. I would say, "The spirit is both eagle and serpent, talons and venom."
"represent a question for the depth of the spirit" should be "represent an unanswered question for the depths of the spirit."
"You want to dominate everything, make it your own, and if it's not yours, you make it fragments" should be "You want to master everything, make it your own, and if it's not yours, you rip it to shreds."
"How would something escape if ..." should be "How would something escape you if ..."
My best guess for the last part-your pride erects a rainbow over the catastrophe of ideas- is "your pride throws up/paints a rainbow over/above your catastrophe of ideas."