View Single Post
Old July 08, 2019, 08:29 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Great job! Some comments and suggestions below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBanner View Post
1. Carla is worried about her husband's wellbeing because the police refuse to tell her where they took him after arresting him.=Carla está preocupada por el bienestar (This is tricky, because we normally use "bienestar" in the sense of comfort and happiness, and here we're talking about something different: let me suggest a paraphrase, as I lack a better option: "Está preocupada por cómo está su esposo/marido") de su marido porque el policía se niega a decirle (a ella) (The context offers enough clarity; you may get rid of it) adonde se lo llevó después de detenerlo.

2. Raquel decided to adopt a puppy that had followed her home from the park, which isn't surprising because she's always had a soft spot for animals.=Raquel decidió adoptar un cachorro que la había seguido hasta casa (Not exactly wrong, but if you say "a casa" instead, it would sound better. Or "hasta su/la casa". "A casa" is a set phrase, while "hasta casa" sounds incomplete and we need a reference about which house you're talking about, despite the context.) desde el parque, lo cual no es sorprendente porque siempre ha tenido debilidad por los (We need the article here, because you're talking about all animals.) animales.
*I see Poli corrected "tener debilidad por", but this is completely acceptable in Spanish. His proposal would be acceptable too.

3. The police officers were forced to shoot the neighbor's dog because it had attacked a child and didn't want to release him.=Los policías se vieron obligados a matar el perro del vecino a tiros (Unless it's very important to know that the dog's been shot, you can get rid of "a tiros".) porque había atacado a un niño y no (I know this was just a typo, but it's important to keep the sense of the sentence) quiso ("Quiso" is not wrong, but for reasons of style I'd prefer "no quería", so "tuvieron que matarlo" is the act that ended the situation.) soltarlo.

4. Carlos burried his mother next to his father who died 5 years prior.=Carlos le dio sepultura a su madre al lado de su padre que murió (Same as the previous conjugation: not wrong, but a better time frame is given by "había muerto/fallecido") cinco años antes.