View Single Post
Old May 09, 2008, 10:19 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Inglés estadounidense
gatitoverde will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
Iris, me tiras de la lengua (how do you say this in English? you pump me). I laughed for half an hour when David came out with the news that you couldn't see your welcome message because you had set your background to the same color [British English is "colour" and in all other respects, you seem to stick to American English, so . . .] with which you were writing. I couldn't stand it. Tears came to my eyes. I began crying, laughing, whispering, lying on the floor..., all at the same time. My neighbors [British vs. American again] called the police. Two policemen rang my bell. I couldn't even talk. I could only point at the computer. They read the thread, they visited your profile page, they tried to keep on reading some more... and they started laughing, shouting, weeping, even shooting their guns in the air. We had fun for two or three hours and then my neighbours came along with some of my best friends, and joined the party. Even my boss came along. Now we are all here enjoying life and wondering what kind of metaphysical limitation you have that makes you the epitome of innocence.
Still, I admire your experimentation and commitment to learning. Most of my points are subtle. Your grammar is nearly perfect despite a few awkward turns of phrase and your meaning is certainly clear. But I want to point out my addition of had to your otherwise solid sentence. Just as in Spanish, when you're speaking in the preterite (past tense) and you want to indicate something that happened even earlier on, you need to use the pluperfect (had + past participle).