View Single Post
Old June 30, 2009, 08:08 AM
Emerald

Native Language: American English
Fazor is on a distinguished road
In all the forums I've used, people always bring up the topic of staying, well, on topic. I've never had a problem with a thread that naturally progressess even if the result is a different topic than the thread started out as.

The times I see it as a problem are when people purposely change the topic at the expense of the person who started the discussion (which I've NEVER seen in my admittedly short time here), or when people change the topic without answering the origonal question.

The later happens everywhere sometimes, and it's usually not intentional. This forum has a smaller regular-poster base than the others I'm use to, and the advantage is that usually someone will eventually come along and answer the question. Rusty's great at that; I know I've had plenty of posts where the topics wandered to something new, only to have him or someone else come back and answer me when they get a chance to.

And just to make a long post even longer; these are the kind of issues that I very deeply believe are best delt with on a case-by-case basis by the moderators, with no "set in stone" rule. The moderators here seem to do a bang-up job of keeping things friendly, interesting, and most importantly, very informative.