Thread: Crecer/aumentar
View Single Post
Old July 27, 2009, 05:26 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Dutch
EmpanadaRica is on a distinguished road
Question Crecer/aumentar

¡Hola a todos!

I have a question on the differences in use between these two verbs.

I am thinking (not sure if I am right in assuming this) the distinction may be similar to the difference in French between 'croître' and ' augmenter' , and perhaps in English the distinction between 'to grow' and 'to increase' ?

So would crecer be used solely - or predominantly - to refer to people and living creatures (animals, plants etc), whereas ' aumentar' might be used more frequently with inanimate objects or abstract constructs (such as 'profit increasing'?).

If I want to say:
' I think my chances have increased a lot' , can I say :Creo que mis oportunidades hayan aumentado mucho' ? (That sounds a bit unnatural maybe?)

I want to increase my knowledge of ' - 'Quisiero aumentar mi conocimiento?' Or 'quisiero mejorar mi conocimiento? '

Is ' aumentar' also used with abstract things (profit, gain, pleasure etc) or only for concrete, tangible things (money, the waterlevel, the electricity bill?).

Can you say 'la cuenta electrica aumentó por 10 %' (the electricity bill increased with 10%) for example or should I be using 'se leventó' (to be higher) in that case e.g.?

And if I want to say a fee has been raised -i.e. someone purposefully raised the price (e.g. the rent was raised with 10%) can I use aumentar, or should I use another verb?

¡Gracias!

Last edited by EmpanadaRica; July 28, 2009 at 06:50 AM.