Thread: Nada
View Single Post
Old December 19, 2016, 07:21 PM
SeƱor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The dictionary entry shows, at Roman numeral I, right at the top, that you are looking an an intransitive verb (vi = verbo intransitivo). It is common for a verb to be listed in its infinitive form (nadar = to swim). The three entries under it give three different ways the infinitive can be used.
The section you're looking at is for someone who knows Spanish and is trying to learn English. The first example shows a tilde (~) in the question. This is where the infinitive form can be used to ask if 'you' (familiar) know how to swim.
The second example is showing how someone would say that a 'persona' (person) swims (conjugated form of nadar) como un pez (like a fish). The dictionary added 'she' because the English sentence must have a subject. The subject of the Spanish sentence could be anyone that is conveyed by the third person (he, she, it, you (formal) or anybody that has already been referenced).

I won't describe the rest.

The dictionary will also list 'nada'. In that entry, you should see at least two roles - noun (abbreviated n) and adverb (abbreviated adv). Those will most likely give examples of a noun and adverb usage, something like I gave above.