View Single Post
Old July 15, 2014, 06:42 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Glen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Let's put under another perspective, with just a question, which might lead to another question. We'll see.

You mean to tell you that a person who does not know how to read or write in their own language, like many Mexicans I have met in 35 years of being in this country, cannot learn how to talk in English?

Mind you, I said talk, and not read and write.
Many I've met seem afraid to try, from fear of being laughed at for making a grammatical mistake. I tell them to go ahead and try, that even basic communication beats none at all.

Someone once said that grammar is like the main course of a meal, where the nourishment is found, while just plain speaking is like the dessert, or the fun part of the meal. So I advise beginning learners to go against conventional wisdom by eating the dessert first and thus be energized [motivated] to tackle the main course.

It's worked for me: I used to hesitate speaking up for that very reason, until it dawned on me that I'm not the only one capable of making mistakes - native Spanish-speakers themselves do at times.