Thread: Portuguese
View Single Post
Old August 20, 2013, 03:09 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma022 View Post
I know you never really finish learning, but I guess what I'm mostly wondering is when is a good time to start studying a similar language. It seems that most people learn one after the other. So at what point can you say, I'm solid in this language, let's try the next. At the end of the day, I suppose there's only one way, try and see how it goes. Thanks for the input.

I wouldn't think think that a native speaker would end up with confusing similar languages, or at least it never happened to me when I studied a bit of Dutch, but with two foreign languages that are similar to each other, it seems like a real danger.
They say people learn best when there is a need to learn or an opportunity to learn. I lived in Italy so I had a need and a desire to learn Italian. I live in California where there are many Spanish speakers so I learned Spanish. I was around Brazilian Portuguese speakers so I learned Portuguese.

Learn Spanish well and then if you ever have a need to learn Portuguese, Italian or French you'll have a strong background to do so with your Spanish. Learning one of any of the Latin based languages is at the same time learning some of all of them. This is the beauty of learning Spanish it's will help you learn all the Latin based languages. Just another good reason to learn Spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
Estoy de acurdo contigo.

Villa, ¿Por qué te gusta la lengua portugués?
Buena pregunta, mi amiguito. Me gusta la cultura brasileña. La música, el baile y la gente. Tengo amigos que han ido a Brasil y no quieren volver.

Hace años mi sobrino fue a Brasil como estudiante de intercambio. Vivía con una familia brasileña y iba a una escuela brasileña. Le escribia en español y él me escribia en portugués. Yo le entendía y el me podía entender. A su regreso de Brasil vivió conmigo por un tiempo. Le enseñé español y él me enseñó portugués. Fuimos a los restaurantes brasileños, partidos de fútbol de Brasil y al carnaval brasileño en Hollywood, California. Más tarde tuve estudiantes brasileños en mis clases de inglés y aprendí más Portugures con ellos. Finalmente empecé a tomar clases de Jiu-Jitsu brasileño con los Gracies y los Machado de Brasil y hablaba portugués con ellos. La mayoría, si no todos los hablantes de portugués aquí en California han aprendido a hablar español porque es facil para ellos. ¿Qué te parece amigo?

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; August 20, 2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts