View Single Post
Old August 31, 2013, 06:18 AM
Pearl

Native Language: German
tetsuo is on a distinguished road
Sharing techniques

This is a general topic. Maybe you'll find something interesting for you. This is how do learn a new language (right now Spanish), but in my opinion, it works for every language.

If your English is good and you'd like to learn Spanish. Check for similar words first. Write them down. Learn them. Spanish <-> your native language.

Of course this isn't enough. Start with card box, make your own or buy another one. If you like to do both, here's a technique that build up the vocabulary of the words you already learned (checking for similarities): create a mindmap with brainstorming for every word. Find synonyms for it. Learn them. While learning this words, you can add words from the cardbox you may have bought, too.

Hint for the cardbox: pay attention it should be build like this: "not learned / didn't know", "known / learned", 1. repeat, 2. repeat and 3. repeat.
With this technique I am using currently 800 card. I am learning them this way:
Spanish -> German (just the vocab)
German -> Spanish (just the vocab)
Spanish -> German (the additional words / sentences on the card: like if your regular word was to learn "egg" - el huevo - you'll know learn huevo duro (boiled egg)
German -> Spanish (like before)
Additionally after a week I recommend learning the complete site of German -> Spanish, than Spanish -> German
I started with this technique on August.22. 2013. I have already done Spanish -> German completely and I am halfway through German -> Spanish. That took me 9 days. If I am that fast, I can learn 800+ words in 30 days easily. Remember how long it took you, to learn this amount in school. A year or two? If you learn conjugations the next 30 days. You have done pretty well and have basic vocab in just two months. Which took you years in school. Even if you make it in a year with 800+ words Who cares. You still have saved years of time. There's no hurry. Learning can be fun. ;-)

Do lessons from a book (lessons book (school book)), software, app (I recommend Duolingo, it's free and for (native) English speakers, the best way (related to apps), ... Check for free audio lessons, movies with subtitles in your native language and books (novels, or books that have an interesting topic). Do one complete lesson per day and/or read at least 2 sites in the book. Don't forget to learn new cards from the cardbox(es).

If you find time to do at least 30 minutes per day or more you will be faster with these techniques than every technique used in school.

Additionally you can use post-its on every thing in your apartment. Put the word on it, write the translation on the back. Write down something related, not only "el libro / los libros / un libro / unos libros" but also something like "what do I do with the things": Write this sentence down you need the most for this thing (e.g. for the book, you won't throw it in the garbage but it read, you know which language will make more sense, right ;-) ?) . It will make it easier to learn, because you need. Your subconscious mind will make your brain learn it faster, because you are need for this. It will push every time.

Read a wikipedia article that you like, find interesting. If you are reading one in your native language. Write 5-10 sentences in the language you'd like to learn and let's check it by a native speaker.

This is just my experience with vocabulary building and learning grammar etc.

Hope I could help you out and give you some possibilities.