View Single Post
Old July 15, 2011, 05:50 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Italian
wayfarer is on a distinguished road
Hello Caballero,
indeed "norteamericano" is more accurate, by saying "americano" we are erasing from the map a huge piece of continent!

Even though my English is not perfect, I will try to make some little corrections to what you have written:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
I wouldn't say "more often". So far, I've seen that in Spanish "americano" refering refers only to people from the US more often than to people from the whole continent.(1) not in Spanish , even though it (2)This is not fully correct, since in the continent model that is used in Spanish speaking countries America is one a single continent. But yes, saying norteamericano or estadounidense is more precice precise/accurate, although saying americanos is not wrong because norteamericanos/estadounidenses are by definition also americanos, even though peruanos, argentinos, etc are also americanos.
(1) In this sentence I rearranged the word order, the one you used didn't sound well.

(2) Here your expression was not incorrect, but I split the sentence because it was too long.

Last edited by wayfarer; July 15, 2011 at 05:59 AM.