View Single Post
Old January 27, 2009, 02:37 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
As an English speaker learning Spanish, Dave, I also say "welcome!" o, "Bienvenido!" You will find the people here to be EXTREMELY helpful, patient, and SOOOOooo encouraging!!

It has helped me to understand that the verb "ser" typically indicates a more permanent condition. Like "Yo soy de Buffalo, New York." It means that I am from Buffalo, NY - which can never change. It's a permanent thing about me.

But "estar" is a temporary thing. For example, "Yo estoy leyendo un libro." It means that I am reading a book. I obviously don't have a book surgically attached to my hand. I am only reading it right now. So it's temporary.

I think that it's a bit confusing to learn ser & estar at first. There are also very many idiomatic usages that will creep in. Keep learning, keep practicing, keep ASKING questions!

I'll let the grammarians answer the "-ar", "-er" and "-ir" question. The verb conjugations really knock me out!