View Single Post
Old February 03, 2011, 11:17 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 063 Abra View Post
I'm sure that there have been a billion threads with this problem, but what is a fun and efficient way to build upon Spanish vocabulary? I enjoy reading, but reading and looking up every other word in a dictionary is tiring and no fun. Should I just drill phrases and common-use words or should I continue to read and look things up? What are good sources to learn common-use phrases and words?
As caballero said, you already know lots of words that share the same root and still mean the same.

As to your question, it depends on what you are reading...

Read a novel, but also transcribe it from Spanish to a notebook in Spanish. That will instill word by word in your mind through your eyes and wrists, and if you do watch movies without subtitles or closed captions through your ears too! And continue to look up in the dictionary, there will come a time in which you are going to ache to just look up in the Spanish definition dictionary instead of a bilingual one.

You know how to read, write and speak English, there isn't any reason why not doing it in Spanish too.