View Single Post
Old December 10, 2016, 01:31 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp444 View Post
"Voy a estudiar hasta entender todo"
I am going to study until I understand it all.

o

"Voy a estudiar hasta que yo entienda todo."
Both are OK. The second one -without pronoun (see explanation for the following example)- is the usual one.
Quote:
He leído "Ojalá is always followed by subjunctive," but what if "I" am the subject of both clauses?

"Ojalá llegar a tiempo a la clase"

o

"Ojalá que yo llegue a tiempo a la clase"
The first one lacks a subject (or it lacks a predicative: "ojalá llegar a tiempo a clase se convierta en algo común"). Besides, there's no subordinate clause there.

The pronoun is not necessary in the second instance, even if llegue is both first and third person (the lack of pronoun means a shortcut, that is, first person)

Quote:
Are there any good rules of thumb to know when to use subjunctive in the subordinate clause or whether to use the infinitive? Such as "always use the infinitive if the subjects are the same."?
The "exam cheating rules" as I call them, I wouldn't tell you. I'll leave to others to determine your language level and what will work for you.

In the end, Spanish subjunctive is pretty obvious once you learn Spanish indicative and English indicative are quite different. But we can't learn what we aren't taught, can we?