View Single Post
Old August 31, 2012, 02:37 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
It's the verb and interrogative adverb choice. B just decides to know about the main fact.

Additionally, A doesn't think necessary that he's talking about a known fact. He talks in a way that the fact is shown in a subdued way so his worries jump in front of the footlights.

It's important to say that indicative+subjunctive is the default for that kind of sentences and indicative+indicative is the exception, because the speakers deliberately declare the fact using indicative because they know or think it to be unknown:

Me preocupa que lo despidieran.
Me duele que lo ignoren.
Me hace reir que se burlen de él.
Le impresionó que se fueran de repente.
Que proteste nos es indiferente.

which have the common structure of some psychological activity as a consequence of another activity -psychological or not-. The commented activity is subdued using subjunctive so the main activity, by keeping indicative, can be "real". How come all this things become that silly "subjunctive when speaking of feelings" -mein Gott!- I can't fathom it, as it looks to me like some short-cut found in some CliffNotes or a way to cheat in exams and get a C+, besides the obvious of "feelings" being communicated by using indicative.