View Single Post
Old July 25, 2010, 06:37 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoosh View Post
Hi guys
i have some questions due to airport vocab
what is the difference between
1. (maletas and valijas )?
2. (boleto / pasaje / billete)?
what does (la manga) mean?(in the airport)
Is the word (atender) a person or a verb?
Hello, Anoosh,
1. Maleta and valija are close synonyms. "Valija" is less used in Spain, but it is used in Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Paraguay, Salvador, Uruguay, with the sense of "maleta" (suitcase). In Spain can also be used as "suitcase" but less frequently than "maleta". ('Valija' can also mean the leather bag used by the postman.)
2. As far as I know these 3 terms are good synonyms, used in different Spanish speaking countries. In Spain "billete" is probably the most commonly used, but the other ones can be understood too.
* la manga = "the sleeve" (literally). This could refer to the indicator for the wind, ie., "windstock", but I am not sure. (In what context did you hear it? I figure it could also be used for some kind of movable 'tunnel or passage' between the airplane and the gate?)
*atender = attend to, see to/ serve / look after. This is a verb. Atender a un pasajero. (Look after a passenger.)
I hope this clarifies. (Let me know on the point of context for "la manga")