View Single Post
Old June 11, 2008, 08:09 AM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Aquí te va mi opinión. No te enfoques mucho en los términos gramaticales: aguda, llana, esdrújula, sobreesdrújula. Aprende qué significan para tus exámenes, pero para realmente aprender lo de los acentos escritos, usa lo siguiente.

1. Si la palabra termina en vocal, n o s, el acento hablado va en la penúltima sílaba.
2. Si la palabra termina en cualquier otra letra, el acento hablado va en la última sílaba.
3. Si al decir una palabra, el acento hablado no se conforma a las dos reglas anteriores, lleva acento escrito en la sílaba con acento hablado

acento hablado = el acento prosódico, énfasis hablado, golpe etc.

I'll repeat this in English.

1. If a word ends in a vowel, n or s, then the second-to-last syllable normally gets the stress.
2. If a word ends in one of the other consonants, the last syllable normally gets the stress.
3. If the spoken stress is in a different syllable from what's stated above, then that syllable gets a written accent mark.

To me this simplifies it to basically one rule:

If spoken stress is not on the second-to-last syllable for words that end in a vowel, n or s, and spoken stress is not on the last syllable for words ending in other letters, then it gets a written accent mark on the syllable that has the spoken stress.

In addition to this, you need to memorize the short list of words that use a written accent mark to differentiate between two words that would otherwise be written the same.

se - sé
si - sí
el - él
te - té
solo - sólo

etc.