View Single Post
Old June 08, 2017, 11:19 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
I was lucky when I went to Buenos Aires several years ago, it was in July and it was sunny and cool. Aguanieve is what the meteorólogos use for sleet on Univisión which can happen from November through March. It's awful, but it's not as bad a freezing rain (lluvia helada I think) is truly dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrholt View Post
Second freezing rain, alongside its cousin black ice; a very thin layer of ice that is so transparent on paved surfaces that most people don't notice the difference in appearance until it is too late. We say "black ice" because it makes asphalt pavement look as if it is wet rather than covered in ice.
Freezing rain it is, then. (My bald patch hates that! ... Yes, I know, thousands of people had asked me why I didn't purchase a cap, but I thrive in cold weather)

I'd like to ask the English term for some kind of snow fall the French call something like "gresail" -I can't find the word and I don't know how it's spelt-. It falls with pretty high temperatures, about 8 or 10°C (some 45 to 50°F) and it consists of some ridiculously large snow flakes made mostly of air (they're like fluffy graupel), which fall very slowly and break the moment they touch the ground -or melt over you-.