View Single Post
Old August 06, 2009, 01:47 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Dutch
EmpanadaRica is on a distinguished road
Interesting list Robin, I'll be sure to work on my CSI and Law and Order Vocab.. (Hope I won' t need it though )

Just a remark/ question - Maybe some of the native English speakers can
verify this?

" to be bailed out "

As far as I know is often used more in 'normal' situation, i.e. not related to crime (though it will depend on your definition of crime.. ) usually when someone is getting you out of a tricky or difficult situation (though not necessarily jail related), often as a favour.

One friend to another:
' Man I'm so swamped with work there is no way I can make it to Laura' s party to help her like I promised'
Other friend:
' Don't worry, I'll go instead and I'll bail you out'.

' I bailed you out last Wednesday saying to your girlfriend you were at my place when you were in fact with Cindy.. now it' s your turn..'

There' s also ' to bail (out) on someone'.
This means letting someone down, standing someone up. For example:

' You set you would come with me to that boring meeting from work, and now on you' re bailing (out) on me'
(adding 'out' I believe is not obligatory).

' My friend said he would pick me up at 9 but he bailed on me, so I guess I need to get there on my own'.

Quote:
bail out,
a.to make a parachute jump from an airplane.
b.to relieve or assist (a person, company, etc.) in an emergency situation, esp. a financial crisis: The corporation bailed out its failing subsidiary through a series of refinancing operations.
c.to give up on or abandon something, as to evade a responsibility: His partner bailed out before the business failed.

For actually getting someone out of jail, I believe the term ' making bail' is often used.

" I couldn' t go home for Christmas this year because I didn't make bail'

Quote:
make bail
Put up security as an assurance that someone released from prison will appear for trial, as in He didn't think he could make bail for his brother.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/make%20bail

Being out on bail, in fact does mean you have been bailed out (literally.. ).

In addition to this there are also these two:

Quote:
go or stand bail for, to provide bail for: They spent the night in jail because no one would stand bail for them.
jump bail, to abscond while free on bail: The suspect jumped bail and is now being sought.
Finally not so sure who would refuse bail?
I think maybe more logical would be: ' To be refused bail' i.e. to be denied bail..?

Maybe one of the native speakers can say whether 'to bail out' is also used in the jail/ incarceration terms a lot, similar to ' to make bail' ?

Somebody bail me out here..
Want to learn Dutch? Have a look here

Last edited by EmpanadaRica; August 06, 2009 at 01:55 AM.