View Single Post
Old June 17, 2009, 08:43 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I'm not sure which contractions you're talking about. We frequently use contractions. There's nothing inherently wrong with using them, but some contractions are not acceptable in everyday speech and some people choose not to use certain contractions. The use of contractions very much depends on who your audience is.

I remember that I provided you with a list of words that can be made into contractions. I also remember that you began inventing contractions, using words which we don't generally see in contractions. Stick to the list I gave you, and have fun!

There's nothing wrong, by the way, with the contractions you wrote above (except for the one I added a 't' to).
The word 'cause isn't a contraction (two words are combined to make a contraction). It's a colloquial way of writing how some people say the word because. Using this can be a sign to others that you're uneducated, so I might have cautioned you about using colloquial writing - like 'cause, wanna, hafta, etc.

If you've other questions, or if I didn't understand what you were asking, let me know.
I've seen these words ('cause, wanna, etc.) in songs.

Thanks for helping me with my doubts. In this case was a bit clearer because the verb was to be. But I'm not sure if it is the same with another verb, for instance:

We all think the same.
We think all the same.

Or:

We all eat
We eat all (as if we were eating everything, or it sounds like this to me)

Is it correct? The first ones sound better to me