Thread: Compound Tenses
View Single Post
Old August 05, 2010, 02:47 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post

Wow, Irma - but your English is SO good, it never occurred to me that there would be things that you don't understand. "Hamper" is a good word. I don't know if a lot of people use it, but I like it, so I use it a lot. Thank you SO much for going out of your way, so often (!!), to understand my posts!! Your input has directly helped my learning of Spanish SO MUCH!!
Thanks for the compliment, but I think that your English is really good (not only because you are a native), but for the job you give me when I'm reading your posts . For instance, today I have had to look up for the word "banter". I would have used "joke" instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Just having a look at a few Google hits for "compound verbs Spanish" tells me that this expression is used exclusively for "haber + participio". That seems to me to be the definition of compound (although I find it arbitrary and annoying). My grammar book defines "more than one word to express a verb form" as periphrastic, so that compound verbs are a subset of periphrastic ones. Periphrastic ones include

Estar + gerund
Llear + gerund
Tener + past participle

and presumably also things like the passive voice with estar.

So I think that when you think compound you should be thinking periphrastic for those forms which trouble you. It is just a matter of definition.
Yes, that's what I tried to say (although I think I didn't get it ). And what you call "periphrastic" are those "perífrasis verbales". I tried to give an explanation of the reason, but I realise that I wasn't able to.