Thread: Correct typing?
View Single Post
Old September 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
Emerald

Caballero is on a distinguished road
I set my keyboard for the "English (United States) United States-International" keyboard layout. In my opinion it is the easiest way of going about things.
Here are the benefits:
My keyboard works exactly as the default English (United States) keyboard with 2 exceptions:
-My right Alt key works differently
-When I use single or double quotes and the next word starts with a vowel, I have to press spacebar after it (otherwise I get an acute accent or umlaut repsectively: e.g. á or ä). This really isn't that much of an annoyance really.

Other than that, all the keys function normally.
If I want an accute accent, all I have to do, is press the apostrophe key ' and then type a vowel: á é í ó ú. Or I can press Right alt and then the vowel.
I can get ñ by pressing right alt and n.
I can get ¿ by pressing right alt and ?.

Now it's super easy to type Spanish correctly.

Unlike people that have an keyboard from an English speaking country, and set their keyboard settings to that of a Spanish speaking country, I don't have to remember where certain keys are, and I don't have to keep switching back and forth between an English layout and a Spanish layout. I can always use the regular English layout and use my right alt key plus a letter to get Spanish characters.
I can also use right alt on various other keys to get symbols from other languages such as as äåé®þüúíóö«»áßðø¶´æ©ñµç¿ (that's right alt+q to the last key on the keyboard (the question mark). Right alt and the number keys give me ¡²³¤€¼½¾‘’¥×, and I can use ' + c to give ç.

If you'd like to try it, here's the procedure for doing it:

http://forums.tomisimo.org/showpost....3&postcount=33