View Single Post
Old April 08, 2009, 04:09 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
Looks like you really love Mexican food.

One thing that happens in Mexico is that many, many people rarely travel or communicate out of their local area. This results in marked differences in vocabulary, accent, and food (among other things) from region to region. For example, if you say "barbacoa" in Hidalgo, it'll be made out of lamb, in Puebla it will be made out of goat meat, and in Vera Cruz it's made out of beef. There are dozens of dishes in Oaxaca that aren't even known outside the area. People from Sinaloa would be surprised at what they eat in Chiapas. There is also a very noticeable difference between eating at a "high class" restaurant (similar to any restaurant in the US-- tile floor, glass windows etc.) and eating a more economic restaurant (cocina económica, fonda, taco stand, etc-- concrete floor, plastic tables and chairs, tarp for a roof, etc), in terms of the food that is offered (I prefer the later by the way).

The folded-over, doused in salsa, wet enchiladas come from Vera Cruz. The open-faced toasted ones come from Hidalgo. Machaca is common in Tamaulipas and northern Mexico, but is largely unknown in Central and Southern Mexico. If you go to a taco stand in Mexico City, you'll normally get tacos made with a double corn tortilla, about 4 inches in diameter, doused in hot oil, filled with your choice of chopped meat, guts, eyes, stomach, tongue, brain etc, and topped with chopped onions & cilantro, served open-face for you to fold over and eat.

So I can only speak from my experiences and you from your experiences. For example, if you go to a Mexican restaurant in the northern half of the US, you'll see the menu is quite different from a restaurant in Texas.

Mexican food varies greatly from region to region (but most of it's mouth-watering).