View Single Post
Old December 30, 2013, 10:20 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English
BobRitter is on a distinguished road
Yes. It was great. The school was a disappointment, although the people were wonderful. They insisted on teaching from a course book that would be appropriate for a full year of HS or college Spanish. Much to much grammar. I talked to el jefe about it but to no avail. They really didn't have the background experience to formulate individual courses that would be useful for a week or 3.

The country is beautiful and VERY affordable if you travel on the cheap the way I do. Get to town, grab a cab and ask the driver for a safe, clean hostel and you are set. I traveled all over the country. Never a hassle or feeling of insecurity. I usually opted for a private room with bath and rarely paid more than $10-12 a night. Almost always with TV and WiFi. Had a room with bath down the hall in Quito for $4 a night. Dorms were commonly $7-10. In Canoa I paid for 1 month room and 20 hours of lessons and the room came out to be $8. Private room and bath and I stepped out the door in the beach. Only gottcha was it was the rainy season and after the river north of the hotel flooded the surf was full of driftwood and debris.

All in all a great trip. 3 months and pretty much loved every minute of it.

I grew up in San Fernando and liver in Orange Co. for many years. Have relatives in NorCo. Live in FL now, hate it.